March 17, 2011
Stephen F. Austin (13-5, 3-0) at
Northwestern St. (8-5, 0-0)
Probable Starting Pitchers
SFA - Tyler Herriage, LHP (0-1, 4.29 ERA, 21.0 IP, 13 K, 21 BB)
NWLA - Luke Irvine, RHP (2-2, 3.04 ERA, 26.2 IP, 29 K, 5 BB)
SFA - Jared West, RHP (3-1, 0.96 ERA, 18.2 IP, 13 K, 6 BB)
NWLA - Jacob Williford, LHP (0-1, 2.45 ERA, 18.1 IP, 8 K, 7 BB)
SFA - Zack Taylor, RHP (2-1, 1.83 ERA, 19.2 IP, 17 K, 13 BB)
NWLA - Colin Bear, LHP (2-1, 1.12 ERA, 24.0 IP, 10 K, 24 BB)
Game Notes & What To Watch For:
- Gametracker and a live chat will be available for all three games from Natchitoches over the weekend.
- The Demons are one of just two teams remaining in the Southland - along with Southeastern Louisiana - who the Lumberjacks have yet to win a league series with since bringing back baseball in 2006. SFA is just 2-10 against the Demons in conference play since 2006 and has not won a series over Northwestern State since 1992, and hasn't won a series in Natchitoches since 1991. Oddly enough, these two teams have been marred by bad weather in recent years and have not played a full, three-game weekend series since 2006.
- The 'Jacks have won eight in a row heading into the weekend, which is the longest current win streak in the Southland, and is three shy of Sam Houston State's 11-game streak, which is the longest in the SLC this year. It is also the longest streak by a Lumberjack club since the 2008 team won nine in a row. Still, this year's version of the 'Jacks has a long way to go to match the school record win streak, as the 1984 team won 17 in a row, which is still the only win streak of at least 10 games in recorded school history.
- Junior Bryson Myles already has 17 steals on the season, placing in the top 10 in both career and single-season swipes at SFA. He needs just four more steals to tie Tanner Hines for second on the single-season list, and is already more than halfway to Kai Kirby's school record of 30 set in 2008.
- Myles is also hitting .438 heading into this weekend's series, which leads the SLC. Freshman Hunter Dozier is also coming off a 4-for-5 day in a win over Texas Southern, putting his average up to .388, which leads all Southland freshmen.
- The 'Jacks are currently leading the SLC with a 2.22 team ERA, including a 1.77 ERA from the Lumberjack bullpen.
- These two teams have already played once this season, with Northwestern State taking an 8-2 win over the 'Jacks on Feb. 26th in Natchitoches on the second day of the Northwestern State Invitational. This Sunday's pitching match-up of Colin Bear and Zack Taylor will be a rematch of the pitching match-up when Bear picked up his second win of the year with 5.1 innings of work.