SFA To Take On League-Leading Demons
March 29, 2012
Game Notes & What To Watch For:
- Each game can be followed via Gametracker. Fans can also follow along on the official SFA Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up-to-date information on all games. Each game will also be broadcast live via New Mexico radio on ESPN 101.7 FM out of Albuquerque.
- SFA is just 21-27 vs the Demons all-time, including 9-15 in Natchitoches; however, the 'Jacks did manage to sweep Northwestern State last season, winning each game in extra-inning fashion. That series win was the first for SFA over Northwestern State since the 1992 season.
- The Demons missed the conference tournament last season for the first time since 2007, and got off to a terrible start to 2012, winning their first game before losing nine of their next 10; however, since opening up Southland play they have caught fire and will enter the league tied with Sam Houston State for first place in the league with a 7-2 record. They took two of three in each of their first two SLC series vs McNeese State and UTSA before sweeping Lamar at home.
- Sophomore shortstop Hunter Dozier currently leads the Lumberjacks with a .350 batting average and has already eclipsed his home run total from last season with his seven dingers. As a whole, SFA leads the SLC with 18 home runs, more than half of its entire season total of 34 in 2011.
- The 'Jacks are coming off an offensive explosion in a two-game midweek sweep of New Mexico, pounding out 14 extra-base hits in the two wins and hitting .354 for the series. Freddy Villalobos went 5-for-8 in the series, with all of his hits going for extra bases, while leadoff man Rene' Moreda put together arguably the best offensive day for any Lumberjack this season in the finale, going 4-for-4 with three extra-base hits and reaching base all five times he came to the plate.