March 29, 2012
Stephen F. Austin
(11-14, 4-5 SLC)
(10-13, 7-2 SLC)
Probable Starting Pitchers
SFA - Cameron Gann, RHP (2-0, 1.93 ERA, 23.1 IP, 5 K, 6 BB)
NWLA - Colin Bear, LHP (2-2, 4.33 ERA, 35.1 IP, 37 K, 15 BB)
SFA - Cody Priest, RHP (0-3, 4.76 ERA, 17.0 IP, 13 K, 3 BB)
NWLA - Jacob Roark, RHP (2-2, 4.18 ERA, 32.1 IP, 25 K, 5 BB)
SFA - Colton Eubanks, RHP (3-1, 3.93 ERA, 34.1 IP, 17 K, 13 BB)
NWLA - Andrew Adams, LHP (1-2, 8.05 ERA, 19.0 IP, 15 K, 8 BB)
Game Notes & What To Watch For:
- Each game can be followed via Gametracker. Fans can also follow along on the official SFA Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up-to-date information on all games. Each game will also be broadcast live via New Mexico radio on ESPN 101.7 FM out of Albuquerque.
- SFA is just 21-27 vs the Demons all-time, including 9-15 in Natchitoches; however, the 'Jacks did manage to sweep Northwestern State last season, winning each game in extra-inning fashion. That series win was the first for SFA over Northwestern State since the 1992 season.
- The Demons missed the conference tournament last season for the first time since 2007, and got off to a terrible start to 2012, winning their first game before losing nine of their next 10; however, since opening up Southland play they have caught fire and will enter the league tied with Sam Houston State for first place in the league with a 7-2 record. They took two of three in each of their first two SLC series vs McNeese State and UTSA before sweeping Lamar at home.
- Sophomore shortstop Hunter Dozier currently leads the Lumberjacks with a .350 batting average and has already eclipsed his home run total from last season with his seven dingers. As a whole, SFA leads the SLC with 18 home runs, more than half of its entire season total of 34 in 2011.
- Senior catcher Jarid Scarafiotti needs just one more RBI to pass Steven Hill for the all-time mark at SFA, after tying him with an RBI single in Tuesday's game at New Mexico. That hit also moved him past Jeff Dungen for third all-time in hits and now he can set his sights on Blake Boydston's 188 career hits, which is the No. 2 mark at SFA. With one more homer he would become just the sixth Lumberjack to ever have 20 homers for a career
- SFA started a completely new rotation last weekend vs UTSA with freshman Cameron Gann getting his second start of the season on Friday, followed by juniors Cody Priest and Brett Higginbotham. For the most part, the changes paid dividends as the trio combined to put up a 3.38 ERA as the 'Jacks took two of three games from UTSA, including a complete-game effort on Friday from Gann.
- Senior stopper Alex Moshier had a rough start to his 2012, allowing a pair of runs in each of his first two appearances; however, since Feb. 26 he has been nearly untouchable. In his seven appearances since Feb. 26, he has tossed 11.1 scoreless innings, allowing just four singles and holding hitters to a .111 average. In that span he has struck out 14 and walked just four batters.
- Hunter Dozier enters the weekend with the team's longest current hit streak at 10 games, while Freddy Villalobos is riding an 13-game streak of his own in which he has managed to reach base.
- The 'Jacks are coming off an offensive explosion in a two-game midweek sweep of New Mexico, pounding out 14 extra-base hits in the two wins and hitting .354 for the series. Freddy Villalobos went 5-for-8 in the series, with all of his hits going for extra bases, while leadoff man Rene' Moreda put together arguably the best offensive day for any Lumberjack this season in the finale, going 4-for-4 with three extra-base hits and reaching base all five times he came to the plate.