Junior Tyler Wiedenfeld and SFA will begin a three-game series at Abilene Christian on Thursday.
April 16, 2014
SFA Game Notes
Stephen F. Austin (15-21, 6-9 SLC) at Abilene Christian (12-21, 2-7 SLC)
Thursday, April 17 (6:30 p.m.) • Live Stats | Audio | Stream ($)
Friday, April 18 (2:00 p.m.) • Live Stats | Audio | Stream ($)
Saturday, April 19 (1:00 p.m.) • Live Stats | Audio | Stream ($)
Crutcher Scott Field - Abilene, Texas
• The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack baseball team, in the midst of a five-game road swing, will head to Abilene, Texas, for a three-game series at Abilene Christian beginning Thursday. SFA, looking to bounce back from a 7-2 loss at Arkansas on Tuesday, will try and snap its season-long, six-game losing streak in a 6:30 p.m. first pitch against the Wildcats.
• The `Jacks enter the series at 15-21 overall and 6-9 in Southland Conference play. Last week, SFA dropped a pair of midweek contests to UNM, before being swept in a three-game SLC series with ORU across a five-game homestand. ACU enters the series 12-20 overall and 2-7 in SLC play.
• SFA will have its fifth run through of its weekend rotation with junior Cameron Gann on Friday, junior Dillon Mangham on Saturday and senior Kevin Bishop on Sunday. The three ‘Jack starters will see sophomore Nate Cole, senior Brady Rodriguez and sophomore Garrett Demeyere, across the three-game series.
Players of Note
• Heading into the series, senior Mackenzie Handel has enjoyed a steady season at the plate, leading both the team and Southland Conference in several offensive categories. Handel currently leads the league in homeruns (8) and RBI (34). The native of Chandler, Ariz., also leads the `Jacks in batting average (.341), runs (24), hits (45), walks (25), on-base percentage (.442), slugging percentage (.591) and total bases (78), with the latter two ranking second in the conference.
• Senior Zach Marberry currently leads the league with 14 doubles, boasting a .290/.476./.375 split.
SCOUTING ABILENE CHRISTIAN: ACU, in its first season playing Division I baseball, enters the series 12-21 overall and 2-7 in SLC play. The Wildcats will closed out a five-game road swing on Wednesday night with a 20-2 loss at Texas A&M. ACU is in the midst of a five-game losing streak entering the conference series. Senior catcher Seth Spivey is tied for the SLC lead with a .371 batting average and three triples. He also sits fourth in the league with 70 total bases. Freshman third baseman Brandon Grudzielanek carries a .350 average entering the week, which ranks sixth in the SLC.
VS. THE OPPONENT: Thursday’s game marks the first-ever meeting between SFA and the Wildcats on the diamond. ACU is in its first season at the Division I level and first as a member of the Southland, making the transition from Division II.
The Last Time Out
• The ‘Jacks fell 7-2 to Arkansas on Tuesday night at Baum Stadium. SFA recorded eight hits against the Razorbacks, as three ‘Jacks recorded multi-hit games. Seniors Ricardo Sanchez and Handel joined sophomore Matthew Dickey with two hits apiece. Handel, who finished 2-for-3, was the only SFA player to record an extra-base hit with a double.
• The ‘Jacks will next head to Dallas Baptist on Tuesday, April 22, to close out their five-game road swing. Following the midweek game with the Patriots, which also closes the home-and-home series between the two teams, SFA will host Lamar in its return to SLC play.