May 2, 2013
Stephen F. Austin (23-22, 10-8 SLC) vs
Northwestern State (13-33, 2-16 SLC)
Probable Starting Pitchers
SFA - Chase Greening, RHP (4-2, 1.97 ERA, 64.0 IP, 63 K, 16 BB)
NWLA - Robert Baker, RHP (3-4, 4.31 ERA, 62.2 IP, 40 K, 21 BB)
SFA - Kyle Cross, RHP (4-5, 3.63 ERA, 62.0 IP, 31 K, 12 BB)
NWLA - Cody Butler, LHP (2-3, 4.55 ERA, 55.1 IP, 40 K, 24 BB)
SFA - Justin Choate, RHP (2-2, 4.91 ERA, 47.2 IP, 38 K, 12 BB)
NWLA - TBA
Game Notes & What To Watch For:
- All games can be followed via Gametracker at SFAJacks.com. Fans can also follow along on the official SFA Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up-to-date information on all games.
- Seven teams are within two games of first place in the Southland Conference with just nine league games remaining. SFA is one of those teams, despite being swept in a three-game set last weekened at Lamar.
- The 'Jacks have dropped four games in a row, despite out-hitting its opponent in each of those games. The Demons, meanwhile, snapped a nine-game losing skid of its own on Wednesday with a pair of wins in a doubleheader over Southern. They have been swept in four of six league series to date.
- SFA is just 21-27 all-time vs the Demons, inclduing 11-12 in Nacogdoches. The 'Jacks have won five of the last eight meetings between the teams, but did drop two of three in Natchitoches last year.
- SFA's Hunter Dozier saw his 16-game hit streak come to and end on with an 0-for-3 outing in the series finale vs Oral Roberts; however,he has maintained another streak and enters Tuesiday having reached base in 35 straight games. He has 29 walks to only 18 strikeouts in those 35 games, while hitting safely in 31 of them with a .435 batting average, .540 on-base percentage and .761 slugging percentage.
- Since taking over a late-inning role early in the year, reliever Brett Higginbotham has been nearly unhittable. In his last 17 appearances, the sidewinding senior righty has the following numbers: 3-1 record, 6 saves, 0.90 ERA, 30.0 IP, 15 hits allowed, .155 batting average, 1 run allowed, 30 strikeouts and just six walks.
- Hunter Dozier is cementing his name in the SFA record books this season, having already set the all-time doubles record and rapidly moving up in a number of other categories. The junior infielder is one of just three Lumberjacks in school history with 200 career hits, and needs just 16 more to break Zach Gardner's career hits record at the school, in one less season. He also needs just one more double to break his school record set last season, and needs seven more two-baggers to tie UTSA's Michael Rockett for the Southland Conference doubles record, both in a single-season and career.
- Starting pitcher Chase Greening had 10 strikeouts in his near no-hitter at McNeese State. It was the second time he has reached double-figure strikeouts in a game this year, including his 17 against Arlington Baptist. He is the first SFA pitcher to reach at least 10 strikeouts in a game since the program returned in 2006. The 'Jacks had only had three double-digit strikeout games from an individual since 2006 before this season. Greening followed that up with 7.0 shutout innings against Southeastern Louisiana and will enter Friday's start at Lamar riding a string of 15.1 consecutive shutout innings. He currently ranks second in the league with a 1.63 ERA and needs 19 more strikeouts to tie Erich Lehmann's single-season mark of 82 set in 2007.