May 22, 2012
Southland Conference Tournament
No. 6 Stephen F. Austin
(23-31, 16-17 SLC)
No. 3 Texas State
(31-22, 19-14 SLC)
Bobcat Field Field
San Marcos, Texas
Probable Starting Pitchers
SFA - Chase Greening, RHP (5-6, 4.36 ERA, 76.1 IP, 45 K, 20 BB)
TXST - Travis Ballew, RHP (10-4, 2.83 ERA, 95.1 IP, 114 K, 27 BB)
Game Notes & What To Watch For:
- Each game can be followed via Gametracker at www.sfajacks.com, or via the Texas State radio call with Bill Culhane on the mic at www.txstatebobcats.com. Fans can also follow along on the official SFA Facebook and Twitter pages for the most up-to-date information on all games. Fans can also watch on SLC Now at www.southland.org
- SFA is just 19-43 all-time against the Bobcats, including just 6-25 in San Marcos. Texas State has been a huge nemesis of the'Jacks in the SLC Tournament, eliminating the `Jacks in both 2007 & 2010, while knocking them off in the first round in 2009 and taking a 9-0 win in last season's SLC Tournament title game.
- The Bobcats put an end to a three-game losing streak by finishing the regular season on a high note, claiming the No. 3 seed in the tournament with two wins on the season's final two days over Northwestern State. Texas State took two of three from the `Jacks earlier in the season in San Marcos.
- This is the fifth-ever SLC Tournament for the Lumberjacks. SFA is 4-8 all-time in the tournament, having gone 3-2 last year in its advancemtnt to the SLC Tournament title game.
- SFA comes into this year's tournament as the No. 6 overall seed, the second time it's been the No. 6 seed. The `Jacks went 1-2 in 2007 as the No. 6 seed.
- The `Jacks have had three all-tournament selections with Bryson Myles and Jarid Scarafiotti making it last season after David Jeans was named to the all-tournament squad in 2007.
- Since the league went back to playing a conference tournament in 1993, high seeds have not fared well. Only twice - Lamar in 2004, Texas State in 2011 - has the regular season champion won the tournament, while a No. 2 seed has never taken they tourney title. The No. 3 and No. 4 seed have each won six titles since 1993, while Sam Houston State and Lamar were the lowest to ever do it when they won the 2009 & 2010 tournament as No. 7 seeds.
- SFA will be seeking to become just the third SLC team to win the SLC Tournament after falling in the title game the previous season. Lamar dropped the 2001 championship before winning the 2002 title, and Texas State managed the same feat last year after falling in 2010.