MBB Game Notes: at Lamar
Feb. 1, 2013
SFA (17-2, 8-1 SLC) at Lamar (2-19, 0-9 SLC)
• The ‘Jacks can complete season sweep of Lamar with a winon the road on Saturday, which would give them an 8-2 start to the season in road contests. No SFA team has started better than 7-3 in its first 10 road games in the Danny Kaspar era, and an 8-2 road start would be the best at SFA since the 1972-73 team went 9-1 in its first 10 road games.
THE LAST TIME OUT
• SFA’s 11-game win streak came to an end on Saturday at Northwestern State. At the time it was the second-longest active win streak in the country. The ‘Jacks have also won 13 games in a row at William R. Johnson Coliseum, a mark tied for 12th best in the country.
• Stephen F. Austin and Wisconsin are the only two programs in the nation to be ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring defense each of the last five seasons.
• SFA is 31-7 since the the beginning of the 2011 calendar year.
• The Lumberjacks enter Thursday's game averaging just 49.4 points allowed per game, the lowest mark in the country.
SFA LASTS WITH THE ELITE: SFA dropped just its second game of the season on Saturday at Northwestern State, dropping the ‘Jacks from a very short list of one-loss teams left in the country. Going into Saturday’s game, only SFA, Michigan and Kansas were left as one-loss teams in the nation. Still, SFA goes into Saturday’s game at Lamar as one of just nine teams in the nation with two or less losses.
SOONER STATE SWEEP: The ‘Jacks have crossed the Red River into Oklahoma three times this year, and each time they have headed back south it has been with a victory in its back pocket. SFA has recorded road wins at Tulsa (57-41), at Oklahoma (56-55) and at Oral Roberts (61-50) this season, by an average margin of victory of 9.67 points.