MBB Game Notes: vs Central Arkansas
Feb. 6, 2013
SFA (18-2, 9-1 SLC) vs Central Arkansas (9-11, 4-6 SLC)
• SFA has won 13 consecutive games at home, a mark tied for the 11th-longest home win streak in the country. Currently the ‘Jacks are 10-0 at home this season, allowing just 44.6 points per game on the William R. Johnson floor with an average margin of victory of nearly 26 points.
THE LAST TIME OUT
• SFA’s 11-game win streak came to an end at Northwestern State. At the time it was the second-longest active win streak in the country. The ‘Jacks have also won 13 games in a row at William R. Johnson Coliseum, a mark tied for 12th best in the country.
• Stephen F. Austin and Wisconsin are the only two programs in the nation to be ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring defense each of the last five seasons.
• Taylor Smith became SFA’s all-time shot blocker vs McNeese St., moving past Matt Kingsley (102)
• SFA is 32-7 since the the beginning of the 2011 calendar year.
• The Lumberjacks enter Thursday's game averaging just 49.5 points allowed per game, the lowest mark in the country.
SFA LASTS WITH THE ELITE: SFA dropped just its second game of the season at Northwestern State, dropping the ‘Jacks from a very short list of one-loss teams left in the country. But going into Thursday’s game, eight teams in the nation with two or less losses. The other seveven make up the first seven teams in the AP Top 25.
SAFE AT HOME: In 12-plus seasons under head coach Danny Kaspar, the Lumberjacks have compiled a 146-35 (.806) record in the William R. Johnson Coliseum. SFA is 342-126 (.730) all-time in the Coliseum. SFA has recorded eight straight seasons and 10 campaigns in last 11 years with double-digit wins at home after its win over Nicholls pushed the ‘Jacks to 10-0 at home this season.
STREAK BUSTED: An 11-game win streak for SFA came to an end as well at the hands of the Demons, a streak that was the second-longest active win streak in the country at the time. Still, SFA has also won 13 in a row at William R. Johnson Coliseum, a streak that is tied with Michigan, Michigan State and Louisiana Tech for the 11th longest home win streak in the country.
TAYLOR MADE: Senior post Taylor Smith has scored his seventh double-double this season on Saturday with 21 points and 18 rebounds in SFA’s win at McNeese State. He has been named the league’s player of the week twice, and currently leads the Southland in both field-goal percentage (.689) and blocks per game (3.2 bpg), while ranking in the top five in scoring (15.3 ppg) and rebounding (9.2 rpg). But he has been evern better in league play, avearging a double-double vs SLC teams with 16.2 points and 10.4 rebounds while shooitng .736. His seven double-doubles on the year is tied with McNeese State’s Desharick Guidry for tops in the Southland.