MBB Game Notes: vs Southeastern La. (SLC Tourney)
March 14, 2013
No. 1 SFA (26-3, 16-2 SLC) vs No. 4 Southeastern Louisiana (13-17, 10-8 SLC)
• SFA is the No. 1 overall seed in the SLC Tournament for just the third time, sporting a 4-1 record as the top team. Friday will be the second time SFA has met Southeastern in the tournament, winning the first meeting in Katy in 2009.
THE LAST TIME OUT
• The 'Jacks finished the regular season with a 15-0 home mark, having won 18 games in a row at William R. Johnson Coliseum, a mark tied for fourth best in the country.
• Stephen F. Austin and Wisconsin are the only two programs in the nation to be ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring defense each of the last five seasons.
• Taylor Smith has become SFA's all-time shot blocker with 129 for his career
• SFA is 40-8 since the the beginning of the 2012 calendar year.
• The Lumberjacks enter Saturday's game averaging just 50.2 points allowed per game, the lowest mark in the country. No team in the nation has ended the year allowing an average of less than 50 points per game since the 1992-93 Princeton Tigers.
KATY BAR THE DOOR: Since the Southland Conference Tournament moved to Katy, Texas for the 2007-08 season, the Lumberjacks have seen their fare share of success. SFA is 7-4 in the Leonard E. Merrell Center, reaching the tournament finals twice and only bowing out after one game just once in 2011. Katy is also the site of SFA’s only SLC Tournament win, coming in the 2009 season when it won the event as the No. 1 seed.