Lumberjacks Fall In Battle For Chief Caddo

Senior wide receiver Mike Brooks caught nine passes for 100 yards and a touchdown in SFA's 40-27 loss to Northwestern State Saturday.

Nov. 23, 2013

Final Stats

NATCHITOCHES, La. – The Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack football team closed the 2013 season with a 40-27 loss and loss of the retention rights to Chief Caddo against Northwestern State Saturday afternoon at Turpin Stadium.

In a game that was moved up two hours to accommodate the annual Festival of Lights event in downtown Natchitoches, La., the Demons (6-6, 3-4 SLC) forced the Lumberjacks to play from behind the entire game after NWST forced two turnovers across SFA’s first four plays from scrimmage.

Senior quarterback Brady Attaway completed 28-of-42 passing attempts for 315 yards and a touchdown, but was victimized for three interceptions in the game. The Whitehouse, Texas, native’s lone touchdown came on a four-yard pass to fellow senior Mike Brooks.

Brooks highlighted the receiving corps, finishing with 100 yards and the lone passing touchdown on a game-high nine receptions. Junior Tyler Boyd (98 yards) finished two yards off of Brooks’ pace on seven receptions, while DJ Ward caught four passes for 73 yards.

Senior Keith Lawson led the ‘Jacks on the ground. The native of San Antonio, Texas, ran for 123 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries.

Linebacker Collin Garrett led the SFA defense with 10 tackles. Defensive lineman Darren Robinson finished with seven tackles, including two for a loss, and a sack, while defensive backs Trey Vallier and Caleb Nelson recorded seven and eight tackles and an interception each, respectfully.

Both teams traded interceptions on their first play from scrimmage, before Imoan Claiborne returned an Attaway attempt 48 yards for a touchdown give the Demons an early 7-0 lead following the PAT (13:26). All three interceptions occurred with the first 1:34 of the first quarter.

NWST tacked on two more points on a safety, before building their lead to 16-0 on two-yard touchdown pass from Demon quarterback Zach Adkins to Bryant Mitchell with 11:11 on the clock.

The ‘Jacks amended for their early mistake and finally got on the board with a 47-yard touchdown run from Lawson with 2:21 left in the first quarter.

The second quarter proved to be much more competitive for SFA, but NWST outscored the ‘Jacks 21-17 to take a 37-24 lead into halftime.

In the third quarter, both teams exchanged field goals, before silent fourth quarter, to arrive at the 40-27 final.




Get your official SFA Gear!