Game 20 Abilene Christian at SFA Date: Jan. 30, 6 p.m. Site: William R. Johnson Coliseum (7,203) Live Stats | Live Stream
Game 21 Incarnate Word at SFA Date: Feb. 1, 4 p.m. Site: William R. Johnson Coliseum (7,203) Live Stats | Live Stream
Team Information Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (10-9, 4-3 SLC) Head Coach: Brandon Schneider (Wayland Baptist, 1995) Career Record: 365-126 (16th season), Record at SFA: 59-54 (4th season)
Abilene Christian Wildcats (12-8, 3-2 SLC) Head Coach: Julie Goodenought (UT-Arlington ‘91) Career Record: 322-235 (20th season), Record at ACU: 33-15 (2nd season)
Incarnate Word Cardinals (8-10, 2-4 SLC) Head Coach: Kate Henderson (Texas Lutheran ‘00) Career Record: 8-10 (1st season), Record at UIW: Same
Radio: Q 107.7 FM Twitter: @SFA_WBB
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – Stephen F. Austin returns home for the first time in three weeks to take on a pair of Southland Conference newcomers in Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word this week. The Ladyjacks (10-9, 4-3 SLC) take on ACU at 5 p.m. Thursday and will face UIW at 4 p.m. Saturday.
The Ladyjacks are coming off a five-game road stint that saw SFA go 2-3 as SFA looks to get back on the winning track after dropping its last three contests.
Promotions · Thursday’s game against the Wildcats will be SFA’s “We Back Pat” event. In an effort to bring awareness to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, fans are encouraged to wear purple in honor of Alzheimer’s Awareness and the Pat Summitt Foundation. Many women’s basketball teams are hosting “We Back Pat” nights in support of the legendary Tennessee Lady Vols’ coach. The Alzheimer’s Association will be on-hand at the game to distribute information on Alzheimer’s disease.
· Both doubleheaders this week also will be Show For Dough Night for SFA student organizations. Students can sign in beginning at the women's game for their respective organizations, and the student organization with the most members in attendance for both games will win $100.
· Saturday’s game against Incarnate Word is Faculty/Staff Appreciation Night. All faculty and staff will receive 2 free tickets with their SFA ID.
Scouting Abilene Christian · The Wildcats enter Thursday’s game 3-2 in league play and having only played 1 contest on the road in Southland Conference action. ACU is coming off a win over Sam Houston State and a loss to Lamar last week at home.
· ACU has the top offense in the Southland Conference so far this season with an average of 73.6 points per game in league play. The Wildcats have scored less than 70 points only once in conference games when they posted 54 in a loss to Central Arkansas, the league’s top defense.
· The Wildcats bring a balanced attack on offense as all 5 starters are averaging double digits in scoring during league play.
· ACU shoots a lot from 3-point range as nearly half of the Wildcats’ shot attempt in conference play have come from beyond the arc. The Wildcats have 2 players averaging at least 2.2 3-pointers made per game, and as a team ACU averages 9.6 per game.
· Defensively, ACU ranks 2nd in the Southland in steals per game with 9.0.
Scouting Incarnate Word · The Cardinals enter Johnson Coliseum after dropping 2 straight games to Sam Houston State and Lamar. UIW saw its leading scorer, Rose Whitehead score 21 points in the loss to Lamar.
· Rose Whitehead averages 14.2 points per game in league action for Incarnate Word. She is among the conference leaders in field goal percentage, hitting 54.2 percent of her shots. The senior center posted 21 points against Lamar in a loss on 8-of-12 shooting and was 5-of-6 at the free-throw line.
· The Cardinals are among the top free-throw shooting teams in the league. UIW is hitting at a 75.4 percent clip at the stripe.
Catching Up with SFA · The Ladyjacks are currently 2nd in the Southland in scoring defense in league play, allowing 58.3 points per game thanks to SFA’s opponent shooting percentage of 37.5 that ranks 4th the Southland. SFA has allowed conference opponents to score more than 60 points 3 times. The Ladyjacks are 9-2 this season when allowing 60 or fewer points.
· The Ladyjacks had their 7-game winning streak snapped earlier this month at Northwestern State. It marked the first time since Nov. 11-Dec. 3, 2011, that SFA had won 7 straight. During that span, the Ladyjacks were winning with an average margin of victory of 23.4 points. In conference play, the margin was 17.25. The closest margin during the winning streak was 7 points at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
· SFA leads the Southland Conference in blocked shots per game overall with an average of 4.5 and is 4th in league play at 3.7. The 4.5 mark is more than a full block more than the No. 2 team in the conference and is currently tied for No. 45 in the nation. The Ladyjacks have posted 5 or more blocks 9 times this season.
· One reason why SFA is blocking so many balls again is junior center Porsha Roberts. Roberts is averaging 2.16 per game with 41 and is on pace for one of the best seasons in school history. At her current pace, Roberts would come up just short of the career record at SFA before the end of the regular season. She is 43rd in the nation in blocks per game heading into Thursday’s action. Roberts also is posting 15.1 points per game in conference play to rank 9th in the Southland. Her 4.6 offensive rebounds lead the conference.
· Roberts also cracked the 1,000 point mark earlier in January at Northwestern State. The forward posted 17 points in the loss and finished the game with 1,009 career points scored.
· The Ladyjacks’ win over Houston Baptist earlier this month was win No. 950 in Ladyjack history. The Ladyjacks are among the winningest programs in NCAA history with 951 total wins since the program’s start in 1969 to rank 5th all-time. SFA is the winningest program in the state of Texas, ahead traditional powerhouses Texas and Texas Tech along with current power Baylor. Only two programs have won more than 1,000 games, and SFA is trying to become the third joining Tennessee and Louisiana Tech. James Madison and Old Dominion are currently ahead of SFA on the list with Texas close behind the Ladyjacks in all-time wins.
· The Ladyjacks were chosen as the favorite to win the Southland Conference this season by the league’s coaches and sports information directors. SFA received 7 of the 12 first-place votes in both polls and was picked ahead of Oral Roberts. The Ladyjacks also had 2 players chosen to the Preseason All-Conference Teams. Porsha Roberts was a selection on the first team while Antionette Carter was voted to the second.