Team Information Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (14-11, 8-5 SLC) Head Coach: Brandon Schneider (Wayland Baptist, 1995) Career Record: 369-128 (16th season), Record at SFA: 63-56 (4th season)
Northwestern State Demons (14-11, 7-6 SLC) Co-Head Coaches: Brooke & Scott Stoehr Career Record: 26-29 (2nd season), Record at NSU: Same
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – The Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks return home this week to take on rival Northwestern State looking to avenge a loss on the road to the Demons earlier this season. The Demons (14-11, 7-6) handed the Ladyjacks (14-11, 8-5 SLC) their first loss in conference play and both are fighting for position in the Southland standings.
With five games left in the conference schedule the Southland Conference standings are jam packed, and the regular season title is still anybody’s to win. SFA is currently 2 games behind Central Arkansas, and only 3 games separates UCA from Northwestern State and Southeastern Louisiana in 6th place.
SFA’s defense also has been strong with the No. 2 scoring defense in the league and No. 1 in terms of opponent shooting percentage. They Ladyjacks have allowed conference opponents to score more than 60 points in 5 contests, including a double-overtime loss to Lamar. SFA is 8-0 when holding SLC teams to 60 or fewer points.
Promotions · Cram the Coliseum: SFA Athletics has partnered with the Nacogdoches Chamber of Commerce to provide free tickets at all Chamber member locations to fill William R. Johnson Coliseum for Saturday’s doubleheader against Northwestern State.
· Double Show for Dough: The student organization with the most members signed in and in attendance on Saturday will receive $200 courtesy of Citizen’s 1st Bank.
· $1000 Cash Scramble: Citizen’s 1st Bank is sponsoring a cash scramble during halftime of the men’s game of the doubleheader. 10 random students will be selected and have 60 seconds to pick up as much cash as they can off the court.
· $1000 Cash Drawing: Fans can sign up during the men’s and women’s games Saturday, and Citizen’s 1st Bank will give $1000 to a lucky fan late in the men’s game.
· Purple Out: Saturday is the Student Activities Association annual Purple Out. All fans wearing purple will receive free admission to the game, and the first 1,500 students will receive a free T-shirt from the SAA.
Scouting the Demons · The Lady Demons have a trio of players scoring in double digits during Southland Conference play, led by Trudy Armstread with an average of 13.8 points per game to rank 13th in the league. Point guard Janelle Perez adds 11.5 points in conference games and is 6th in assists with 4.1 per game. Keisha Lee is contributing 13.2 points for Northwestern State and is the Demons’ top defender with 21 steals in league play.
· In the first meeting this season, Perez scored 15 points and dished out 6 assists while not committing a single turnover. Armstead also contributed 15 points and led Northwestern State with 8 rebounds.
· Northwestern State protects the ball on offense as the Demons lead the Southland Conference in assist-to-turnover margin. The Demons are the only team in the league to have more assists than turnovers in conference games. Northwestern State ranks 61st in the nation in that category.
Catching Up with SFA · The Ladyjacks are currently 2nd in the Southland in scoring defense in league play, allowing 59.8 points per game thanks to SFA’s opponent shooting percentage of 37.8 that ranks 1st in the Southland. SFA has allowed conference opponents to score more than 60 points just 5 times, including a double-overtime game. Overall, the Ladyjacks are 13-2 this season when allowing 60 or fewer points. and are undefeated in conference play in those contests.
· SFA is 2nd in the Southland Conference in blocked shots per game with an average of 4.1 in league play. The Ladyjacks have posted 5 or more blocks 13 times this season, including 4 of the last 6 games. The Ladyjacks are 9-4 in those contests. Overall SFA is 44th in the nation with 4.5 blocks per game.
· One reason why SFA is blocking so many balls again is junior center Porsha Roberts. Roberts is averaging 2.08 per game overall to lead the conference with 52 and is on pace for one of the best seasons in school history. At her current pace, Roberts would come up just short of the career record at SFA before the end of the regular season. Entering the week she was 43rd in the nation in blocks per game. In league play, Roberts ranks 4th with 1.6 blocks per game. She has averaged 2.2 over the last 5 games, however.
· Porsha Roberts cracked the 1,000 point mark in January at Northwestern State. The forward posted 17 points in the loss and finished the game with 1,009 career points scored. She leads the team with 15.4 points per game overall and is shooting 54.2 percent on the year to rank 40th in the NCAA. In league play, Roberts is averaging 15.3 points and is second in shooting percentage at 55.6.
· The Ladyjacks’ win over Houston Baptist earlier this month was win No. 950 in Ladyjack history. The Ladyjacks are among the winningest programs in NCAA history with 955 total wins since the program’s start in 1969 to rank 5th all-time. SFA is the winningest program in the state of Texas, ahead traditional powerhouses Texas and Texas Tech along with current power Baylor. Only two programs have won more than 1,000 games, and SFA is trying to become the third joining Tennessee and Louisiana Tech. James Madison and Old Dominion are currently ahead of SFA on the list with Texas close behind the Ladyjacks in all-time wins.
· The Ladyjacks are the top rebounding team in the Southland Conference. SFA currently holds a rebounding margin of plus-11.6 in league games. No other team has a positive margin in double digits. In league play, Porsha Roberts averages 8.4 boards thanks to a recent career-high 19 at Lamar last week. Tierany Henderson pulls down 7.2 and Daylyn Harris adds 5.8 rebounds. Harris posted her first career double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds against McNeese State last weekend.
· Freshman guard Taylor Ross has made an impact on SFA’s offense this season. The newcomer leads the team in assists despite her only recently adding more time as the point guard. Ross is averaging 3.7 assists per game in league play and ranks 11th in the conference. She also ranks 9th in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.4. She is the only freshman in the Southland to rank in the top 15 in both categories. Ross has averaged 4.5 assists per game over the last 6 games. The Ladyjacks are 7-1 when she dishes out 5 or more assists.
· The Ladyjacks were chosen as the favorite to win the Southland Conference this season by the league’s coaches and sports information directors. SFA received 7 of the 12 first-place votes in both polls and was picked ahead of Oral Roberts. The Ladyjacks also had 2 players chosen to the Preseason All-Conference Teams. Porsha Roberts was a selection on the first team while Antionette Carter was voted to the second.
The Last Meeting
January 16, 2014
Ladyjacks Winning Streak Ends on Road
The Ladyjacks seven-game winning streak came to an end on Thursday night as the Northwestern State Lady Demons were able to hand Stephen F. Austin its first loss in Southland Conference play. SFA fell 66-54 as the Demons shot 44.9 percent on the night and got hot during a key stretch in the second half.