Team Information Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (15-11, 9-5 SLC) Head Coach: Brandon Schneider (Wayland Baptist, 1995) Career Record: 370-128 (16th season), Record at SFA: 64-56 (4th season)
New Orleans Privateers (0-25, 0-14 SLC) Head Coach: Keeshawn Davenport (New Orleans ‘01) Career Record: 3-74 (3rd season), Record at UNO: Same
Southeastern Louisiana Lady Lions (8-17, 7-6 SLC) Head Coach: Lori Davis Jones (Southeastern Louisiana ‘92) Career Record: 323-292 (19th season), Record at SELU: 145-182 (12th season)
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – The Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks take their final road trip of the regular season this week as the team travels to take on the New Orleans Privateers and Southeastern Louisiana Lady Lions. The Ladyjacks (15-11, 9-5 SLC) will tangle with the winless Privateers (0-25, 0-14) at 5:30 p.m. Thursday before facing SELU (8-17, 7-6) at 2 p.m. Saturday.
This week’s games will have heavy implications on the Southland Conference standings. With only four games left in the conference schedule the Southland title is still up for grabs. The standings are jammed with teams fighting for seeding position and to just qualify for the Southland Conference Championship. Only three games separate UCA from McNeese State in fifth place.
SFA’s defense has played strong all year. The Ladyjacks rank No. 2 in scoring defense in the league and No. 1 in terms of opponent shooting percentage. That defense helped force Northwestern State into 18 turnovers last week. Entering the contest the Lady Demons were the only team in the Southland to average more assists than turnovers. Northwestern State had just eight assists in the game.
Scouting the Privateers · New Orleans is winless on the season and losing by an average of 30.4 points in conference play.
· The Privateers are led in scoring by Octavia Wilson with 10.6 points per game in conference games.
Scouting the Lady Lions · Southeastern Louisiana has 4 players scoring in double digits in conference play. Aja Gibson leads the way with 16.3. Symone Miller adds 13.5, Elizabeth Styles posts 11.5 and Nanna Pool scores 11.5.
· Nanna Pool is averaging a double-double in Southland play as she pulls down 11.5 rebounds. She has posted a total of 10 double-doubles on the year. Pool ranks 1st in the league in rebounding.
· The Lady Lions are among the top offensive teams in the Southland. SELU is scoring 71.7 points per game to rank 3rd in the league. The Lady Lions are shooting 44.6 percent to rank 2nd.
· Elizabeth Styles is 2nd in the Southland in assists per game with 5.2. She also ranks 13th in the league in assist-to-turnover margin.
Catching Up with SFA · The Ladyjacks are currently 2nd in the Southland in scoring defense in league play, allowing 59.1 points per game thanks to SFA’s opponent shooting percentage of 37.8 that ranks 1st in the Southland. SFA has allowed conference opponents to score more than 60 points just 5 times, including a double-overtime game. Overall, the Ladyjacks are 14-2 this season when allowing 60 or fewer points. and are undefeated in conference play in those contests at 9-0.
· SFA is 3rd in the Southland Conference in blocked shots per game with an average of 3.8 in league play after not posting any against Northwestern State last week. The Ladyjacks have posted 5 or more blocks 13 times this season, including 4 of the last 7 games. The Ladyjacks are 9-4 in those contests. Overall SFA is 42nd in the nation with 4.3 blocks per game.
· One reason why SFA is blocking so many balls again is junior center Porsha Roberts. Roberts is averaging 2.0 per game overall to lead the conference with 52 and is on pace for one of the best seasons in school history. At her current pace, Roberts would come up just short of the career record at SFA before the end of the regular season. Entering the week she is 46th in the nation in blocks per game. In league play, Roberts ranks 5th with 1.5 blocks per game.
· Porsha Roberts cracked the 1,000 point mark in January at Northwestern State. The forward posted 17 points in the loss and finished the game with 1,009 career points scored. She leads the team with 15.5 points per game overall and is shooting 55.2 percent on the year to rank 29th in the NCAA. In league play, Roberts is averaging 15.5 points and is second in shooting percentage at 57.2.
· The Ladyjacks’ win over Houston Baptist earlier this month was win No. 950 in Ladyjack history. The Ladyjacks are among the winningest programs in NCAA history with 956 total wins since the program’s start in 1969 to rank 5th all-time. SFA is the winningest program in the state of Texas, ahead traditional powerhouses Texas and Texas Tech along with current power Baylor. Only two programs have won more than 1,000 games, and SFA is trying to become the third joining Tennessee and Louisiana Tech. James Madison and Old Dominion are currently ahead of SFA on the list with Texas close behind the Ladyjacks in all-time wins.
· The Ladyjacks are the top rebounding team in the Southland Conference. SFA currently holds a rebounding margin of plus-11.2 in league games. No other team has a positive margin in double digits. In league play, Porsha Roberts averages 8.3 boards thanks to a recent career-high 19 at Lamar. Tierany Henderson pulls down 6.9 and Daylyn Harris adds 5.8 rebounds. Harris posted her first career double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds against McNeese State.
· Freshman guard Taylor Ross has made an impact on SFA’s offense this season. The newcomer leads the team in assists despite her only recently adding more time as the point guard. Ross is averaging 3.6 assists per game in league play and ranks 12th in the conference. She also ranks 9th in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.4. She is the only freshman in the Southland to rank in the top 15 in both categories. The Ladyjacks are 7-1 when she dishes out 5 or more assists.
· SFA has been a hard team to come from behind and defeat. The Ladyjacks are 12-0 this season when leading with 5 minutes remaining in regulation.
· The Ladyjacks were chosen as the favorite to win the Southland Conference this season by the league’s coaches and sports information directors. SFA received 7 of the 12 first-place votes in both polls and was picked ahead of Oral Roberts. The Ladyjacks also had 2 players chosen to the Preseason All-Conference Teams. Porsha Roberts was a selection on the first team while Antionette Carter was voted to the second.
The Last Meeting
December 13, 2008
Ladyjacks Hold Off Late UNO Rally
Stephen F. Austin Ladyjack head coach Lee Ann Riley wanted more fire and intensity from her troops to start games, and she got exactly what she wanted Saturday night. SFA recorded a 66-63 victory over New Orleans in the William R. Johnson Coliseum, marking the team's last home game until Jan. 14, 2009. The win improved SFA's record to 5-4 on the season.
SFA Prevails Past SLU In Double Overtime
Porsha Roberts scored a career-high 32 points and the Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks rallied from six points down in the first overtime to defeat Southeastern Louisiana 83-80 in double overtime at the University Center Saturday afternoon.