Dec. 18, 2013
Henderson State at SFA
Date: Dec. 19, 7 p.m.
Site: William R. Johnson Coliseum (7,203)
Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (4-6, 0-0 SLC)
Head Coach: Brandon Schneider (Wayland Baptist, 1995)
Career Record: 359-123 (16th season), Record at SFA: 53-51 (4th season)
Henderson State Lady Reddies (6-2, 0-0 Great American)
Head Coach: Jill Thomas (Northwest College ‘04)
Career Record: 6-2 (1st season)
Live Stats: sfajacks.com
Live Stream: sfajacks.com/allaccess
SFA Game Notes
NACOGDOCHES, Texas – Stephen F. Austin women's basketball continues its homestand on Thursday when the Ladyjacks take on the Henderson State Lady Reddies (6-2). The Ladyjacks (4-6) are coming off a dominant performance against Grambling State on Sunday as Henderson State is coming off a win at Texas A&M-Commerce on Tuesday.
· The Lady Reddies are led by Aungelique Sledge. The guard was is averaging 20.8 points per game and has hit 23 3-pointers so far this season. Sledge also adds 6.6 rebounds per game and is a defensive force with 3.9 steals a game. Henderson State also has two more players averaging double digits in scoring. Krystal Beachum contributes 12.9 points, and Tiara Davis adds 10.4. Davis is the team’s leading rebounder with 8.8 per game.
· SFA is one of the most dominant defenses in the paint in the Southland Conference again in 2013-14. The Ladyjacks currently lead the league with 4.5 blocks per game with 45 through 10 games. The next closest team is Abilene Christian with 4.0 per game. The Ladyjacks rank in the Top 50 in the nation in the category, tying with Providence at No. 48.
· One reason why SFA is blocking so many balls again is junior center Porsha Roberts. Roberts is averaging 2.4 per game with 24 and is on pace for one of the best seasons in school history. At her current pace, Roberts could even break the career record at SFA before the end of the season. She is tied for 33rd in the nation in blocks per game heading into Thursday’s action. Roberts also is posting 15.1 points per game to rank 8th in the Southland. Her 3.6 offensive rebounds rank 4th in the conference to help the Ladyjacks score 12.3 second chance points per game and rank 4th in offensive rebounds.
· Junior forward Daylyn Harris posted a career-high 23 points in the victory over Grambling State on Sunday. She was an impressive 9-of-12 from the field while also pulling down a season-high 8 rebounds. Harris hit all 4 of her free throws as well. This season, Harris has increased her averages for points (11.0), rebounds (4.9) and her shooting percentage (45.0). She has posted 10 or more points in 7 contests so far.
· Freshman guard Taylor Ross has made an impact on SFA’s offense early this season. The newcomer leads the team in assists despite her limited time of running the point behind junior Brittany Matthew. Ross is averaging 3.2 assists per game and ranks 12th in the conference. She posted a new career-high of 6 assists in the win over Grambling State on Sunday. Ross has posted at least 2 assists in every game this year and reached 4 or more three times. No other freshman has as many assists (32) as Ross in the Southland, and she has the No. 2 assist-turnover ratio in the league at 2.1, which also ranks 68th in the nation.
· Thursday’s game is the second in a 5-game homestand for the Ladyjacks ranging from Dec. 15-Jan. 4. SFA will play three home games in the month of December this year. Last season, the Ladyjacks ‘ only home game during this month was against Tulsa on Dec. 30. SFA played at Grambling, Oklahoma State, Rice and SMU last season during December.
· The Ladyjacks are approaching their 900th win all-time as a program. SFA’s record is 892-389 dating back to the 1972-73 season. Other traditional powerhouses to recently reach the 900-win plateau are Texas, Stanford and Ohio State.
- SFA -