March 7, 2010
CONWAY, Ark. - The Stephen F. Austin women's tennis team picked up its third Southland Conference win on Sunday, defeating Central Arkansas 6-1.
The win improved SFA's record to 7-2 overall and 3-1 in conference play, while the loss dropped UCA to fall 1-6 overall and 0-5 in SLC play.
"I thought coming into the match that we would have an advantage in singles and that proved to be the case," said SFA head tennis coach Bret Arrant. "Lately our wins have been a testament to us moving forward as a team because we are seeing players pick up victories over opponents who they have lost to in previous years."
The Ladyjacks opened the match by dropping the doubles point, but were able to bounce back and take all five singles matches in straight sets.
UCA's Petra Keilova and Kazumi Otani defeated Paola Muntuenga and Alice Pacaut 8-4 in No. 1 doubles, while Tatiana Smolnikova and Meaghan Ocanas fell to Lindsey Short and Allison Hartman 8-3 at No. 2. In No. 3 doubles, SFA's Jamie Williams and Andreea Enica posted a 9-7 victory over Jordan Short and Alex Rios.
In the singles competition, Roxana Enica defeated Petra Keilova 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1. Alina Shazkho took down Kazumi Otani 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2, while Paola Muntuenga defeated Allison Hartman 6-1, 7-5 at No. 3. Tatiana Smolnikova rolled over Lindsey Short 6-1, 6-0 at No. 4. Pacaut defeated Alex Rios 6-4, 6-1 at No. 5, followed by a 6-3, 6-4 victory from Sanjana Kapur over Jordan Short at No. 6.
"We have a few non-conference matches coming up, which gives us a good opportunity to regroup and get some much needed rest," Arrant said.
SFA will be back in action on Mar. 10th to take on Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La. The match is set to begin at 3:00 p.m.
1. Roxana Enica (SFA) def. Petra Keilova (UCA) 6-3, 6-4
2. Alina Shazkho (SFA) def. Kazumi Otani (UCA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Paola Muntuenga (SFA) def. Allison Hartman (UCA) 6-1, 7-5
4. Tatiana Smolnikova (SFA) def. Lindsey Short (UCA) 6-1, 6-0
5. Alice Pacaut (SFA) def. Alex Rios (UCA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sanjana Kapur (SFA) def. Jordan Short (UCA) 6-4, 6-3
1. Petra Keilova/Kazumi Otani (UCA) def. Paola Muntuenga/Alice Pacaut (SFA) 8-4
2. Lindsey Short/Allison Hartman (UCA) def. Tatiana Smolnikova/Meaghan Ocanas (SFA) 8-3
3. Jamie Williams/Andreea Enica (SFA) def. Jordan Short/Alex Rios (UCA) 9-7