March 8, 2014
LAFAYETTE, La. – The Stephen F. Austin women’s tennis team was unable to surmount a comeback, falling 4-2 to Louisiana-Lafayette on Friday at the Cajun Courts.
After dropping a hard doubles point to the Rajun Cajuns (5-7), SFA (3-5) picked up wins in singles play from junior Malena Gordo and sophomore Valeria Terentyeva to pull tie it 2-2, before dropping a pair of matches in the No. 5 and No. 6 singles to take the loss.
The Ladyjacks will be back in action on Sunday, Mar. 9, opening Southland Conference play at Oral Roberts.
Tennis Match Results
Stephen F. Austin vs. Louisiana-Lafayette
Mar 8, 2014 at Lafayette, La.
Louisiana-Lafayette 4, Stephen F. Austin 2
1. Nelo Phiri (ULL) vs. Denise Maxl (SFA) 6-3, 6-7, unfinished
2. Malena Gordo (SFA) def. Nicole Breaux (ULL) 6-4, 6-2
3. Melissa Burckhartt (ULL) def. Julia Lorca (SFA) 7-6, 6-0
4. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Alexandra Way (ULL) 6-2, 6-4
5. Julie Cremers (ULL) def. Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Juliette Clement (ULL) def. Laura Servise (SFA) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
1. Nelo Phiri / Nicole Breaux (ULL) def. Malena Gordo / Julia Lorca (SFA) 8-4
2. Melissa Burckhartt / Julie Cremers (ULL) def. Laura Servise / Rachel Pierce (SFA) 8-5
3. Juliette Clement / Alexandra Way (ULL) vs. Denise Maxl / Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) unfinished
Stephen F. Austin 3-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,3,