March 17, 2014
NACOGDOCHES, Texas - In the continuation of Monday's match with Satuday, Mar. 15, match with Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, the Stephen F. Austin women's tennis team fell 4-3 on Monday at the Schlief Tennis Complex.
"TAMUCC has a deep squad that is well coached and that competes at a high level, head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. "They played a little better than us in singles and took advantage of every inch we gave them to run away with the win. I am proud of the girls for the effort and heart they showed today. We were a few points away from beating last year’s conference finalist.
“It is encouraging to see how much we have improved in doubles in the last few weeks. This will help take pressure from the singles when it comes to playing the top teams in the conference. It was unfortunate that the rain did not allow us to start with doubles against them.
“Now the focus is to prepare for Abilene Christian on Saturday. They are coming from beating Southeastern Louisiana on the road, who won the regular season last year. This team was not top 5 in the country in division II for no reason. It will be an interesting contest as I think we match up well against them.”
Trailing 3-2, Islander (7-4, 1-1 SLC) Judit Vives was battling SFA's (7-6, 3-1 SLC) Valeria Terentyeva in a third set when play was suspended. Vives closed the match in resumption with a 6-3 victory in the thrd set that clinched the set for TAMUCC.
In doubles play, the pair of freshmen Denise Maxl and Macarena Sedano Acosta took an 8-1 win in the No. 3 slot and juniors Malena Gordo and Julia Lorca sealed the point with a 8-4 win over their own in teh top slot.
The Ladyjacks will be back in action on Saturday at Abilene Christian.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi vs. Stephen F. Austin
3/15/2014 (resumed on 3/17) at Nacogdoches, Texas
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, Stephen F. Austin 3
1. Denise Maxl (SFA) def. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Malena Gordo (SFA) def. Maider Martin (AMCC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Julia Lorca (SFA) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Valeria Terentyeva 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 6-4
5. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kerry Galhos (AMCC) def. Laura Servise (SFA) 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
1. Malena Gordo / Julia Lorca (SFA) def. Stefania Nicolae / Kerry Galhos (AMCC) 8-4
2. Sandra Burges / Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Laura Servise / Rachel Pierce (SFA) 9-7
3. Denise Maxl / Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) def. Maider Martin / Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) 8-1