March 22, 2014
ABILENE, Texas – The Stephen F. Austin women’s tennis team improved to 4-1 in Southland Conference play, edging Abilene Christian 4-3 on Saturday at the Eager Tennis Pavilion.
"I am so proud of the girls for stepping up to the plate in singles today,” head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “We did not play well in doubles and gave ACU a lead that could have cost us big. The team responded well after being 1-0 down and played solid tennis across the board. We are becoming tougher every week and this shows of what we are capable of. We will be even tougher when we can compete at this level from begging to end.
The Ladyjacks (8-6, 4-1 SLC), after dropping the doubles point, rallied in singles play against the Wildcats (11-4, 3-2 SLC). After dropping the first two completed doubles matches, SFA’s seniors Laura Servise and Rachel Pierce downed Erin Walker and Brittney Reed 8-6 in the No. 2 singles to avoid the sweep, heavily contesting both loses.
In singles play, the Ladyjacks stormed out front with wins in No. 2 and No. 6 singles by freshman Denise Maxl and Servise. Then, after ACU took the No. 5 singles, sophomore Valeria Terentyeva and junior Julia Lorca sealed the victory in their respective matches in No. 3 and 4 singles.
The Ladyjacks will enjoy a few days of rest before retaking the court on Sunday, Mar. 30, at Northwestern State.
Stephen F. Austin 4, Abilene Christian 3
Mar 22, 2014 at Abilene, Texas (Eager Tennis Pavilion)
1. Micah Hermsdorf/Kaysie Hermsdorf (ACU) def. Malena Gordo/Julia Lorca (SFA) 8-5
2. Laura Servise/Rachel Pierce (SFA) def. Erin Walker/Brittney Reed (ACU) 8-6
3. Emily Conrad/Nada Marjanovic (ACU) def. Denise Maxl/Macarena Acosta (SFA) 8-1
1. Micah Hermsdorf (ACU) def Malena Gordo (SFA) 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 6-2
2. Denise Maxl (SFA) def. Brittney Reed (ACU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Julia Lorca (SFA) def. Kaysie Hermsdorf (ACU) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
4. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Erin Walker (ACU) 6-1, 7-6
5. Nada Marjanovic (ACU) def. Andrea Ternera (SFA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Laura Servise (SFA) def. Emily Conrad (ACU) 6-0, 6-3