March 29, 2014
NACOGDOCHES, Texas - The Stephen F. Austin women's tennis team played strong in both doubles and singles but could not overcome Northwestern State, falling 4-3 at the Jack Fisher Tennis Complex on Saturday.
"Tough loss," head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. "Northwestern State played an inch better than us today. I am proud of the girls for the way they fought today. Just a few bad decisions on our part and a little bad luck gave them the doubles point, which ultimately determined the overall contest."
The Ladyjacks (8-7, 4-2 SLC) dropped an 8-7 match to NWST (13-3, 6-0 SLC) in the tiebreaker of No. 1 doubles, as the Lady Demons took the doubles point. After falling 8-6 in No. 2 doubles, the tandem of freshmen Denise Maxl and Macarena Sedano Acosta tied the match with an 8-5 victory.
In singles play, senior Laura Servise bounced back from her loss in No. 2 doubles to be the first match completed, winning 6-4, 6-4 over NWST's Daniela Simonova.
Sophomore Valeria Terentyeva followed with a 6-3, 6-4 victory of her own, before the Lady Demons won the next to singles matches to secure the victory.
Senior Malena Gordo closed out the match with a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory in No. 1 singles.
Head coach Roberto Aspillaga:
On Malena Gordo...
"I am proud of Malena for the way she regrouped after a tough loss in the doubles. At match point she went for the right shot and missed it by an inch. She was very upset, but moved on and was able to play a great singles. This is why she is our number one player.
On Laura Servise...
"I am also very happy with the way Laura played today. She started down 4-0 and was able to get her nerves under control to ultimately play one of the smartest matches I have seen from her this year. She had a great balance between aggressive net play and consistency from the baseline."
On Valeria Terentyeva...
"Lera has been simply rock solid this year. Her movement and variety is driving people crazy out there. This was another great win for her and another match we were able to count on her to be there for her team."
Northwestern State 4, Stephen F. Austin 3
Mar. 29, 2014 at Natchitoches, La. (Jack Fisher Tennis Complex)
1. Malena Gordo (SFA) def. Polina Konop (NSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Tatiana Larina (NSU) def. Denise Maxl (SFA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Natalya Krutova (NSU) def. Julia Lorca 7-6 (SFA) (3-0), 6-2
4. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Kateryna Piatakova (NSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Aliona Ladutska (NSU) def. Andrea Ternera (SFA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Laura Servise (SFA) def. Daniela Simonova (NSU) 6-4, 6-4
1. Polina Konop / Tatiana Larina (NSU) def. Malena Gordo / Julia Lorca (SFA) 8-7 (6-0)
2. Natalya Krutova / Kateryna Piatakova (NSU) def. Laura Servise / Rachel Pierce (SFA) 8-6
3. Denise Maxl / Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) def. Aliona Ladutska / Daniela Simonova (NSU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,3,4,2,1)