SFA will play Northwestern State in the SLC Tournament semifinals tomorrow.
April 25, 2014
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The Stephen F. Austin women's tennis team advanced to the semifinals of the 2014 Southland Conference Tournament, downing fourth-seeded Nicholls State 4-1 on Friday afternoon at Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center on the campus of host Texas A&M - Corpus Christi.
The fifth-seeded Ladyjacks (12-10) took the doubles point and rattled off three wins in singles to call the match early against NICH (15-9).
The pairing of senior Laura Servise and sophomore Valeria Terentyeva gave SFA an early 1-0 edge in No. 3 doubles with an 8-2 win, before the Colonels responded with an 8-6 win in No. 2 doubles to notch-up the opening point. Senior Malena Gordo and junior Julia Lorca then delivered the Ladyjacks a 1-0 lead with an 8-6 win in No. 1 doubles.
In singles, NICH's Isla Brock defeated Servise 6-4, 6-0 in No. 5 singles, before Servise's doubles partner Terentyeva answered with a 6-3, 6-3 win in No. 3 singles. The momentum continued for SFA, as Gordo and Lorca picked up wins in their respective match to propel the Ladyjacks onward.
SFA will play top-seeded Northwestern State on Saturday in a 2:00 p.m. start.
Head Coach Roberto Aspillaga:
On the win...
"I am really happy with the way the women competed. We knew coming into this match that the number one goal was to outcompete Nicholls State, and I felt like we did that. Not for a whole lot, I thought that they did a great job competing as well. I keep telling the girls how good we are when we show up and make the right decisions out on the court. We brought the energy right from the start, and that allowed us to be up 1-0 after the doubles and get that momentum into the singles. I thought we did a great job. We really fought for every single point and I felt like we deserve this win."
On how it feels to move on to the semifinals...
"That's a great question. That's a question I'm going to ask them because if they believe in themselves and they are hungry enough to do it again tomorrow, then anything is possible. When we played Northwestern State a month and a half ago in Natchitoches, we had a match point in the doubles, and ended up losing 4-3. So, we are good enough to beat them, but they are playing some really good tennis right now, but so are we. Tomorrow is really going to be up to whoever wants it more and if we stay hungry, then we have a great shot at picking up the win."
Tennis Match Results
Stephen F. Austin 4, Nicholls 1
April 25, 2014 at Corpus Christi, Texas (Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center)
1. Malena Gordo (SFA) def. Stephanie Barnett (NICH) 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
2. Marie Aubert (NICH) vs. Denise Maxl (SFA) 6-3, 3-6, 4-5, unfinished
3. Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Kateryna Nakonechna (NICH) 6-3, 6-3
4. Julia Lorca (SFA) def. Klara Skopac (NICH) 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
5. Isla Brock (NICH) def. Laura Servise (SFA) 6-4, 6-0
6. Emma Kranendonk (NICH) vs. Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) 5-7, 7-5, unfinished
1. Malena Gordo / Julia Lorca (SFA) def. Stephanie Barnett / Klara Skopac (NICH) 8-6
2. Emma Kranendonk / Isla Brock (NICH) def. Denise Maxl / Macarena Sedano Acosta (SFA) 8-6
3. Laura Servise / Valeria Terentyeva (SFA) def. Marie Aubert / Kateryna Nakonechna (NICH) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,1,4)